Academic Staff Council Minutes

December 20, 2004

 

Members Present : Alicia Acken, Leslie Bleskachek, Kimberly Gould- Speckman, Sarah Egerstrom, Gretchen Link,

Members Absent: Carmen Croonquist, Mark Kinders, Steve Luebke, Amber Tubre,

Call to order at 2:07 p.m.

Approval of November 22, 2004 minutes. Motion made by G. Link. Seconded by L. Bleskachek Unanimously approved.

Chair's Report (K. Gould-Speckman)

None updates covered in other agenda areas

Representative's Report (K. Gould-Speckman)

The Academic Staff Council representatives meet on December 16, 2004. The minutes from the meeting are available online at: http://www.uwsa.edu/srvpadm/asreps/agendaminutes.html

The Governor's budget will be made public in mid-January, so the primary discussion was about the budget and its impact on the UW System. There is concern from academic staff that they will are more vulnerable to position cuts.

Legislative Update (K. Gould-Speckman for M. Kinders)

None

Continuing Business (K. Gould-Speckman)

Follow-up training for the neutral facilitation workshop will most likely be held in late January or early February. We need to identify dates for the four-hour session and provide a list of topics to be covered. The original planning committee will meet in the next few weeks to finalize this event.

The academic staff emeriti status document that was created last year was never signed by Chancellor Lydecker. Kathy Schultz (HR) and Mary Halada (VC-Administration and Finance) have drafted a new document for our review. We will take a closer look at this item at the January meeting when more members are present.

Good progress is being made on the planning of the academic staff conference for July 14 and 15, 2005. C. Croonquist has booked our keynote speaker, Kevin Reilley will also be asked to deliver a message. ASPRO has agreed to do a reception and legislative update session. Mike Woolsey, Campus Web Developer, will create a web site for conference registrations. L. Bleskachek is requesting funding from system. The large planning committee will meet again on January 10.

 

New Business (K. Gould-Speckman)

Kimberly has agreed to serve as chair of academic staff council for the remainder of the semester. We will need to select a vice-chair to fill her position. There are also 2 additional vacancies on the council. An election was held in November, which resulted in L. Bleskachek joining the council. Three additional nominees were listed on the ballot. K. Gould-Speckman suggested we ask two of the nominees to serve instead of holding another campus-wide election. L. Bleskacheck made a motion that Cara Rubbis and Jason Nehaus be appointed to the Council. G. Link seconded. Motion unanimously approved.

K. Gould-Speckman will draft a letter that outlines academic staff concerns for the legislature to consider when making budget decision. She will send it on behalf of the Council.

.

Other Items

We will review date and meeting time for the Council. Attendance by members has been poor. We need increased involvement to keep making progress.

 

Sarah will bring treats to January meeting!

 

Adjourned at 2:55 p.m. Motion made by G. Link. Seconded by L. Bleskachek.