Academic Staff Council Minutes
May 21, 2003
Call to order at 3:03 p.m..
Approval of April minutes.
Members present: Emily Ronning, Sue Walton, Kathy Olsen, Larry Testa,
Steven Luebke, Gretchen Link, Mark Kinders and Michael Stifter. New Members
present: Kimberly Gould-Speckman, Angela Kaiser, and Sally Berkholder. Others
present: Tony Bredahl
- Mark Kinders: Joint Finance went no deeper than governor's proposal and
they gave a go ahead for a tuition increase. Critical part is getting through
Joint Finance. It now goes onto caucus.
- Administrative Council visit by president Lyall: UW System has dropped from
13th to 28th in a measure of educational quality nationally speaking; 5% of
our students study abroad; state survey conducted indicated that our citizens
are interested in the State system and are willing to spend money on it; a
bipartisan education caucus was proposed; the Classified personnel contract
- Introduction of members.
Representatives Report (Tony Bredahl reporting):
- Circulated minutes from 5/15 meeting and 5/16 Legislative update and 5/15
Joint Finance info; Bredahl reiterated the availability of this info on the
- Plugged Summer conference to be held on 7/17 and 7/18 at Stevens Point (materials
- Bredahl was thanked for his two years of service as the Madison rep which
is in addition to the three years he served on the Council
- Elections: Landslide victories by Sue Walton as chair, Emily Ronning as
vice-chair, and Angela Kaiser as secretary (Kimberly Gould-Speckman declined
the nomination for secretary).
- Walton announced that there were two winners for the Regents Award, one
was from UW-Madison and one from UW-Stout.
Adjournment at 3:33 p.m..
Next Meeting will be in September.