Academic Staff Council Meeting: Wednesday, January 8, 2003
Kathy Olsen, Tony Bredahl, Sarah Egerstrom, Mark Kinders, Gretchen Link,
Steve Luebke, Mike Stifter, Larry Testa and Sue Walton
Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 3:01 PM
- It was anticipated that Doyle would freeze all hiring. As of today, the
Wheeler report did not indicate that any such action was planned.
- There are going to be budget cuts, were just not sure to what areas.
- Doyle wants more time to submit the states budget (until February
- Up to nine new Regents may be appointed. There is a push for more Regents
from western Wisconsin.
- Harsdorf and Rhodes were appointed to the Joint Finance Committee, which
makes this region well represented.
- The Long Range Planning Committee is examining mission and vision statements
for our campus. What makes us unique? The current motto: Where the Free
Spirit Prevails has come under question. The motto has too many interpretations.
Tony noted that we have been using the motto Building on Tradition
since the 125th Anniversary.
- Bargaining Agreement Update: Classified staff contracts have still not been
settled. The unions and the state will return to the bargaining table for
an agreement for the upcoming legislative session.
- Human Resource Reforms: President Lyall has endorsed a number of reforms
in the HR Department that would allow the UW system more efficient hiring
practices. Among the proposed ideas: move non-represented professional employees
to academic staff; allow UW system to go directly to JCOER with pay plan and
eliminating the need to go through the DEF; and to install our own search
and screen procedures for classified staff.
- Tony will be participating in the teleconference on January 16, 2003. Anyone
is welcome to listen in or join the discussion.
At the December meeting Larry suggested that we meet right after Tony attends
his meetings, not three weeks later. The council approved new meeting dates
for the remainder of the year:
February 26 at 3:00 PM
March 26 at 3:00 PM
April 30 at 3:00 PM
May 21 at 3:00 PM
The committee would like to note that Larry did not bring a cake to the meeting.
Well give him a chance to redeem himself on February 26.
Meeting adjourned at 3:37 PM