Academic Staff Council Meeting: Wednesday, December 11, 2002
Tony Bredahl, Sarah Egerstrom, Mark Kinders, Gretchen Link, Steve Luebke, Emily
Ronning, Mike Stifter, Larry Testa and Sue Walton
Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 3:05 PM
After meeting in Madison three weeks ago, Tony had the following to report:
- The wording in the some classified contracts has been finalized. These representatives
will vote on a contract next week.
- HR Issues There is talk at system about pulling state HR resources
into the system and having tuition money paid directly to the system. This
would allow more control and discretion over where the money goes.
- The UW System has one of the best health insurance programs in the country
could possibly expect an increase in premiums
- A tuition increase would be the last attempt to improve the current budget
situation. However, the increase would not be enough to cover the budget deficit
- cuts would still be inevitable to other areas.
- There is some talk about privatizing the retirement fund (having it as an
- The Regents have been asking for information about lay-offs.
- Linda Wymer said that there is definitely a pro-UW System sentiment among
A Brochure (Citizens for Higher Education) has been created to help gain public
support for the UW System. Also looking for additional volunteers to help
support the organization.
- Academic affairs representative concerned about programs being cut that
arent profitable. Encouraging us to keep liberal education in mind.
- Larry suggested that we meet right after Tony attends his meetings, not
three weeks later. The information is not as relevant/timely. Well discuss
alternate meeting times at the next meeting.
Tonys upcoming meeting dates:
December 19 Teleconference
February 20 Meeting in Madison
March 20 Meeting in Madison
April 24 Teleconference
May 15 Meeting in Madison
The committee decided to hold its regularly scheduled meeting in January
AND, Larry has volunteered to bring cake!!
Meeting adjourned at 3:52 PM