Academic Staff Council Minutes
February 20, 2002
Call to order at 3:01 p.m..
Approval of December minutes.
Members present: Marilyn Duerst, Emily Ronning, Larry Testa, Sue Walton, Steve
Luebke, Kathy Olsen, Ranee May, and Michael Stifter. Guests present: Tony
- Update on potential grievance given by Kathy. We now have system representation.
- Congratulations to Tony on behalf of the Academic Staff Council for receiving
the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence!
Representatives Report (Tony Bredahl reporting):
- Tony circulated the minutes from his last meeting.
- There is still an emphasis on the budget. At this time the pay plan is
still on as scheduled.
- There is a System initiative to gauge how Academic Staff are being integrated
into the various campuses. Tony circulated a handout. Information needs
to be gathered this Spring. Question put forth on how the change to the 5
Year and Out policy would encourage or discourage professional development
(i.e. applying for Faculty Development grants). Please pass on suggestions
to Tony. Summary from System on what is being done.
- Climate Study Issues were brainstormed in the following order: 1) provide
Orientation, 2) develop a set of consistent job requirements for Academic
Staff (publicize and promote these), take out the “carrots”, question as to
what the state allows, 3) attention to the already established challenges
that surfaced in the Climate Study (lack of access to computers, phones, copy
machines, etc.), 4) provide a mentors program
- Elections: question as to conduct this Spring or not. Decision was made
to proceed. Ranee will be conducting these.
- Merger with Faculty Senate: Attempt made to gauge the potential outcome.
It was recognized that there was a rather large amount of indifference on
the part of faculty. Not sure how that will be reflected in the vote. Sue
Walton volunteered to assist Jacque Foust in counting the returned ballots.
Request made by Nan Jordahl for nominations to the Faculty and
Academic Staff Development Board. It is a 6 Year appointment. The person needs
to represent Category A or B.
Adjournment at 4:20 p.m..
Next Meeting is Wednesday, 3/20 at 3 p.m. in the St Croix Room of the Student
Center. Jennifer Ninneman will likely join us.