Academic Staff Council Minutes
December 12, 2001
Call to order at 3:05 p.m.
Approval of November minutes.
Members present: Marilyn Duerst, Emily Ronning, Larry Testa, Sue Walton, Steve
Luebke, Kathy Ranee May, and Michael Stifter. Guests present: Tony Bredahl.
Representatives Report (Tony Bredahl reporting):
- UW-Parkside will host the next state-wide Academic Staff conference. It
will be on 7/18 and 7/19.
- Titling was revisited: It will be up to campuses to incorporate specific
- Upcoming issue: Do Academic Staff get leave, paid or otherwise? Does it
make sense given the general one year status of Academic Staff? Can it be
used for professional development? Could it be used for health reasons (May)?
- Academic Staff B Salary Increases: no information available
- Ken Olsons question: Adjunct Lecturers do not get the salary
increases that all other Academic Staff employees get. It was thought
that adjunct are in contracts that are non-negotiable once theyre set.
Adjuncts have to negotiate increases up front. The issue could be brought
up with the departmental head. Issue led to the notion of having Jennifer
Standaert attend our next meeting to address this, titling, pay ranges, layers
within categories, communication with new employees, etc. Suggestion to create
a brochure or website. Ronning expressed interest in possibly coordinating.
- Merger with Faculty Senate: Luebke reported that it passed Faculty Senate.
However, an amendment to insure the 55% majority of faculty was added. Concern
was raised as to the move back to 55% over the 17:1 ratio that we had approved.
Feeling was that a move to 17:1 would doom the merger on the side of Faculty
- Academic Regents Award for Excellence: Applications are due in early February.
The campus as yet to recognize someone from last year which usually leads
to the system nomination. Ronning expressed a willingness to assist if someone
Adjournment at 4:04 p.m..
Next Meeting is Wednesday, 1/23 at 3 p.m. if needed. Watch for the 1/23 agenda
for meeting location. Jennifer Standaert will likely join us if a meeting is