University of Wisconsin- River Falls
Agricultural Education Forestry Curriculum and Resources
Return to Main page
Unit 4 - Tree Identification
At the end of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and differentiate between tree characteristics used in classifying different tree species.
2. Use a taxonomic key to identify tree species.
Unit Concepts and Associated Resources:
I. Characteristics associated with tree species classification.
II. Use of a taxonomic key to identify the species of a particular tree/specimen.
III. Common names versus scientific name for a tree species.
High School Forestry Textbook Resources:
1. Rolfe - pp. 47-62
2. Burton - pp. 84-92
Forestry Information Resources:
FMD Chapter 3
1. Forest Trees of Wisconsin, Produced by: WI Department of Natural Resources, 2003
Publication number: FR-053, Keywords: identification, tree, forest
1. Burton - p. 79
2. Burton Lab Manual - Chapter 3 - Exercise 1
3. LEAF: 7-8: Field Enhancement 1
4. PLT - Acclivity 68
(See the list of references for full information on each resource listed)