University of Wisconsin- River Falls
Agricultural Education Forestry Curriculum and Resources
Return to Main page
Unit 3 - Tree Anatomy and Physiology
At the end of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and explain the function of nth major structural parts of the crown, truck, and roots.
2. Identify the keys tree parts involved in tree growth, along with explaining the specific contributions of each in the process.
3. Demonstrate a basic understanding of photosynthesis, respiration, transpiration, and reproduction as it occurs in trees.
Unit Concepts and Associated Resources:
I. Structural components of a tree, and their functions.
II. How a tree grows.
High School Forestry Textbook Resources:
1. Rolfe - pp. 37-47, Chapter 9
2. Burton - pp. 92-109, Chapter 4
Forestry Information Resources:
1. FMD Chapter 2
1. How Forest Trees Grow, Produced by: UWEX Cooperative Extension, Publication number: G3277
Keywords: silviculture, tree, growth
1. Burton - pp. 109 and 128
2. Burton Lab Manual - Chapter 3 - Exercise 2, Chapter 4 - Exercise 1
3. LEAF 5-6: Lesson 1
4. ECO - Activity 3
5. PLT - Activities 27, 41, 42, 43, 76, 78, and 79
(See the list of references for full information on each resource listed)