University of Wisconsin- River Falls
Agricultural Education Forestry Curriculum and Resources
Return to Main page
Unit 1 - Introduction and Overview
At the end of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Define or explain what a forest is and what forestry entails.
2. State general U.S. regional differences regarding forest land, ownership and products produced.
3. Provide a general historical timeline of the evolution of forestry in the United States.
4. Discuss and array of uses, benefits and products that forests can provide.
Units Concepts and Associated Resources:
I. What is a forest?
II. What is forestry?
III. Timberlands of the United States.
IV. Development of the profession of forestry in the United States.
V. Benefits attainable from or provided by forest lands.
High School Forestry Textbook Resources:
1. Rolfe - Chapter 1
2. Burton - Chapter 1
1. Burton - Pg. 24
2. Burton Lab Manual - Chapter 1 - Exercises 1, 2 and 3
3. ECO - Activity 1
4. FOCUS - pp. 6-12, Activities 1, 4, 5 and 7
(See the list of references for full information on each resource listed)