University of Wisconsin- River Falls
Agricultural Education Forestry Curriculum and Resources
Return to Main page
Unit 11 - Forest Products
At the end of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Provide a national overview of forest product production, as well as a regional comparisons.
2. List several major forest product categories, give a summary of the manufacturing process
involved with producing each, and give several specific examples of uses associated with each.
3. Identify the major structural features/distinguishing characteristics associated with wood
coming from hardwood species, and those from softwood species.
4. List several properties of wood that make it desirable for certain uses, and several that detract
from its usefulness.
Unit Concepts and Associated Resources:
I. National and regional production of forest products.
II. Overview of forest products, their manufacturing, and their uses.
III. Basic characteristics and properties of wood.
High School Forestry Textbook Resources:
1. Rolfe - Chapter 9, pp. 255-266 and 273-281
2. Burton - Chapters 13, 14, and 15
Forestry Information Resources:
1. FMD Chapter 5
1. Christmas Tree Shearing, Produced by: UWEX Cooperative Extension, Publication number: G3268, Keywords: Christmas tree
2. Guidelines for Grading Hardwood Logs, Produced by: UW-Madison Department of Forest Ecology and Management, 1994, Publication number: Forestry Fact 74, Keywords: measurement, grading, value
3. Species For Christmas Trees in the Lake States, Produced by: UW-Madison Department of Forest Ecology and Management, 1991, Publication number: Forestry Fact 55, Keywords: pine, Christmas tree, planting
1. Burton - pp. 350, 365, and 384
2. Burton Lab Manual - Chapter 13 - Exercises 1, 2, and 3; Chapter 14 - Exercises 1, 2, and 3;
Chapter 15 - Exercise 1
3. PLT - Activities 12, 13, 51, and 82
(See the list of references for full information on each resource listed)