410 South Third Street River Falls, WI 54022 715/425-3567 email@example.com
UWRF Series 89 Collection Inventory
Faculty Women’s Club, 1914-
Arrangement: Alphabetically by folder, chronologically by document
Quantity: 1 box
2005 Additions - International dinner materials; photo albums, scrapbooks and record books; 1967-2000
Collection Summary: The Faculty Women’s Club was formed sometime around 1914 as a social organization for women connected with the River Falls State Normal School. It was originally called “The Faculty Women’s League,” but changed its name in November of 1940 to its present title, “The Faculty Women’s Club.” The philosophy of the organization always underscored sociability over money-making. Nevertheless, the group has continually supported a variety of charitable and civic causes. For example, the club awarded annual scholarships, donated milk and clothing to the needy, and contributed to such organizations as the American Red Cross, the Girl Scouts, the Salvation Army, the American Legion, and the March of Dimes. In terms of social activities, the club became involved in a wide range of events and projects, including plays, musicals, teas, dinners, and writing cookbooks.
The Faculty Women’s Club grew from a membership of between 20 and 30 women in the 1920’s and 1930’s, to more than 50 members in the 1960’s and 1970’s.
contains minutes of meetings, early and revised constitutions, rosters
of members, correspondence, programs, scrapbooks, and other materials
relating to the Faculty Women’s Club.
Box 1 contains information on the International Dinners interest group. The bulk of these materials were donated by Anne Anderson in 1997, but there are some materials which were donated by Curt and Dee Larson in 2005.
Boxes 2 and
3 were donated by Curt and Dee Larson in 2005. The additions consist
of various records, including some scattered correspondence and clippings,
photo albums, a scrapbook, and record books. The record books contain
minutes, newsletters, member rosters, yearly programs, and other information.
To keep the integrity of the books, the contents were not separated
into different folders by record type. Thus, there could be some duplication
with the contents of Box 1 of the original series.