410 South Third Street    River Falls, WI 54022 715/425-3567 archives@uwrf.edu

UWRF Series 31 Collection Inventory
Vice Chancellor
Chalmer Davee Library: Subject Files, 1875-
Arrangement: Alphabetically by filing unit; chronologically by document
Quantity: 19 archives boxes and 1 volume

 

 

Return to UWRF Collections, Home
Return to UWRF Series Inventory List

 
 
   
   
Collection Summary: The library on the University of Wisconsin-River Falls campus was originally located in South Hall. In 1954 the library moved into its own building and gained the name “Chalmer Davee Library” building. In 1952 the library became a Regional Depository and a Federal Depository in 1962. The first portion of this series contains records relating to library and departmental operations, library history, correspondence, etc.; the second part of this collection contains library accession records.

See Who was Chalmer Davee? to learn about the library's namesake and to view a timeline of the library's history.

Original library in South Hall. ca. 1890
Original library in South Hall. ca. 1890
 
   
Box(or Volume)/Folder Contents, Years
1/1 Administrative Problems, 1956-1970
1/2 Advisory Committee, 1965-1968
1/3 Ames Lab School, 1966-1973;
1/4 Annual Reports, 1916-1960
1/5 1960-1963;
Vol. 1 1963-1975
1/6 1975-1982
17/1-3 1983-1997
18/4 1997-
1/7 Approval Information, 1967-1969
1/8 Area Research Center, 1951-1973
1/9 Bulletin,1963
1/10 Bulletins cont'd, 1964
2/1 cont'd, 1965
2/2 cont'd,1966
2/3 cont'd,1967
2/4 cont'd,1968
2/5-6 cont'd,1969
3/1-2 cont'd, 1970
3/3-4 cont'd, 1971
3/ cont'd, 1972
3/6 “Campus Commentary” (UWRF radio spots in the library), 1983
3/7 Circulation Reports, 1966-1977
3/8 Computer Use By Library, 1974-1975
3/9 Council of Librarians, 1963-1971
3/10 Council of University Librarians, 1964-1971
4/1 C.O.W.L.: Articles of Incorporation, 1975; Agreement Between the COWL and Wisconsin Library Consortium
4/2 C.O.W.L. materials, 1972-1978
4/3 OCLC/WLC, 1976-1978
4/6 General Correspondence, 1960-1977
4/4-5 Business Office Correspondence, 1955-1977
5/1-2 Correspondence, General Faculty, 1958-1978
5/3 E.H. Kleinpell, 1956-1966
5/4 L.C. Stone, 1956-1973
5/5 Dean Swenson, 1969-1977
5/6 Wayne Wolfe, 1965-1974
5/7 Eau Claire, 1955-1968
5/8 La Crosse, 1956-1976
5/9 Milwaukee, 1975-1978
5/10 Oshkosh, 1955-1975
5/11 Platteville, 1960-1977
5/12 Stevens Point, 1955-1974
5/13 Stout, 1957-1975
5/14 Superior, 1958-1970
6/1 Whitewater, 1957-1972
6/2-3 Directors of University of Wisconsin libraries, 1972-1978
6/4 Faculty Library Handbook, n.d.
6/5 Forms, n.d.
6/6 Flying Saucers, 1976-1978
6/7-8 Gifts and Memorial Funds, 1972-1978
          [Government Documents (see Box 9 and Box 17)]
7/1-2 History of the Chalmer Davee Library, n.d.
7/3 Instructions in use of Library, 1977
7/4 Instructional Materials Center (see also Box 17), 1962-1979
7/5 Interlibrary Loan, 1956-1976
7/6 Inventory Results-Books and Periodicals Reported Missing, 1972-1973
7/7 Library Committee; 1949/1950-1959/1960
7/8 1960/1961-1965/1966
7/9 1967/1968-1970/1971
7/10 1971/1972-
7/11 Library Education- Historical, 1952-1954
8/1 Library Materials for Accreditation, 1932-1960, n.d.
8/2 Miscellaneous Figures, 1941-1958
8/3 Miscellaneous Information, 1952-1977
8/4 Music Department Correspondence and Information, 1965-1978
8/5 Papers, Talks, etc., 1961-1975
8/6 Professional Data on Richard Cooklock, 1966-1976
8/7 River Falls Insurance Evaluation, 1973-1978
8/8 Statements of Library Operations, 1957-1958
8/9 Staff, 1964-1976
9/1 Staff, Manuals, Meetings, & Communications, 1966-1976
9/2 Student Assistants, 1966-1977
9/3 Textbook Library, 1943-1978
9/4 Theft and Mutilation, 1971-1976
9/5 Union List of Periodicals, 1955-1970
9/6-7 U.S. Depository Agreements 1951-1979
9/8 U.S.O.E. Library Statistics, 1964-1977
9/9 WILS, 1972-1978
9/10 David R. Witmer file, 1966-1973
9/11 Women’s Studies, 1977-1978
10/1 Library Automation Cost Modules, 1979-1986
10/2 UW for Automated Library Systems (RFP), 1984
10/3 Library Automation Reconversion, 1984-1986
10/4 WCWLCC (RFP) Computerized Library, 1980; Circulation Management
10/5-6 LS/2000 OCLC Proposal to Madison, 1984, tabs 1-5
11/1 Circulation Records,1903-1927
11/2 1927-1960
11/3 Reference Withdrawal Records, 1908-1938
1//4 Text Withdrawal Records,1911-1928
11/5 1928-1950
11/6 1950-1959
12/1 Accession Book (Textbooks),1911-1923
12/2 1923-1958
12/3 1958-1967
12/4 The Elizabeth Fleming Memorial Collection, 1930-1947
12/5 Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare Surveys, 1965-1966
12/6 Library Guides, 1970-1987
12/7 Book Plates, 1967
13/1 Original Building-Equipment/Furniture, 1952-1953, 1958
13/2 1968 Addition, Correspondence, Lists, n.d.
13/3 (a&b) 1968 Addition, 1962-1967
13/4 1968 Addition, Correspondence, 1968
13/5 1968 Addition, Requests for supplies and equipment, 1968-1969
13/6 1968 Addition, Correspondence, 1969-1976
13/7 1968 Addition, Blueprints, 1968
13/8 Library Expansion (1977), 1976-1979

 

UWRF Series 31
Boxes 14-16

Records for library accessions date from 1875-1958; however, there are points which may require further explanation. All page numbers refer to A History of the Chalmer Davee Library at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls by Richard A. Cooklock, 1974.

First, there are two sets of accession records. One is general library accessions and the other is textbook accessions. The textbook information is contained in Box 10 of this series. The general library information is contained in Boxes 14-16 of this series.

The library had been accessioning materials since the inception of the Normal School in 1875, but the first accession book was not started until 1894. (Cooklock, p. 4) The first date listed in the accession records is “September 1894.” The records before September 1894 were library accessions, but it is unclear if they were listed in the same order in which they were accessioned.

During the summer of 1907, the library began to switch from the Cutter Expansion System for cataloging library books to the Dewey Decimal System. (Cooklock, p. 11) In 1908, the library appears to have inventoried every book in order to have them reclassified. This is probably the reason that most of the books listed before May 21, 1908 were stamped “08”.

On November 29, 1897, much of South Hall, including portions of the library rooms, were destroyed by a fire. Most of the library materials were saved, but, unfortunately, some were lost. (Cooklock, p. 6) When a book was damaged or was taken out of the library’s holdings for any other reason, that reason was listed in the last three columns of the individual record. The library retired the book, but not the accession number. The next book to be accessioned was given the old number. This explains why there are both older and more recent dates on the same page.

In July of 1957, the library staff decided that accession books were no longer needed. Accessions were not documented in this format after July 1957. However, these books were used to record withdrawals and deaccessions until 1968, even though the library had separate withdrawal records.

Box/Folder Contents, Years
14/1 Accession Books: 1875-1903
14/2 1903-1914
14/3 1914-1921
15/1 1921-1928
15/2 1928-1932
15/3 1932-1938
15/4 1938-1943
16/1 1943-1948
16/2 1948-1951
16/3 1951-1953
16/4 1953-1956
16/5 1956-1957
17/1 Annual Reports, 1983-1988
17/2 1989-1991
17/3 1992-1997
18/4 1997/98-
17/4: Budget Cuts,-Publicity and Comments, Nov.-Dec. 1992
17/5: Gov. Doc.-Brochures, History, Inspections, etc., 1964-1992
17/6: Instructional Materials Center-Newsletter, 1988
17/7: Library Newsletters, 1989-
17/8 News of the Week, 1986-1988
17/9 “Serendipity” (Circulation newsletter), 1993-
17/10 Student Handbook (for student employees), 1992-
18/1 Chalmer Davee Library Rededication, October 8, 1997
18/2 Davee Library-Draft Program Statement for Remodeling and Addition Project, 1990
18/3 Government Printing Office inspection report, 1998
19/1 Circulation Monthly Reports, 1969-1985
19/2 Circulation Records, 1960-1984
19/3 Circulation and Reserve Reports, 1986-1990
19/4 Periodicals List, Oct. 1995
19/5 LS/2000 Agreement