UWRF Series 132 Collection
Assistant Chancellor: Business and Finance
Pigeon Lake Field Station Records/Clam Lake Field Station Records, 1959-1997
Quantity: 2.2 c. f. (6 archives boxes and 1 oversize photo folder)
Arrangement: Alphabetical by subject.
[Note: Span-dates were used for many descriptions.]
These records are from the Pigeon Lake Field Station, which is operated
by the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. The collection contains
administrative records from 1959 through 1997. Budget reports, building
projects, correspondence, food service and instructor information are
contained in this collection. Additionally, there are written histories
of Pigeon Lake Field Station, summer class brochures, photographs, slides,
programming brochures and policy information.
in the collection are early records from Clam Lake Field Station, which
mainly encompass the years 1960 through 1975.
History:The University of Wisconsin System acquired the
Pigeon Lake and Clam Lake Field Stations to serve as centers for studying,
teaching, and research in any discipline in which learning can be enhanced
by utilizing a natural, relatively undisturbed, wilderness environment.
Pigeon Lake Field Station is located in the southwest part of the Washburn
Ranger District in the Chequamegon National Forest. The field station
is four miles west of Drummond, Wisconsin, in northern Bayfield County.
The camp was originally constructed in the early 1930s to house members
of the Civilian Conservation Corps. From 1938 to 1959, the field station
was used by Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, church groups and other organizations.
On July 14, 1959, the land was purchased from the U.S. Forest Service
by the Board of Regents of State Colleges under a surplus property arrangement.
Over the next 16 years, the field station increased in size from 11.5
to 50 acres. In 1973, the State Universities and the University of Wisconsin
merged. The Board of Regents passed a resolution approving the Articles
of Agreement. This agreement formed the basis for the Pigeon Lake Field
Station Consortium and provided guidelines for operation of the field
station until 1982.
In 1982, the
Board of Regents dissolved the consortium and transferred responsibility
for the field station to UW-River Falls. The university is responsible
for the financial and academic administration of the program. Some of
the past directors of Pigeon Lake include Paul Klemm, Don Aabel and
Bill Sperling. The current manager of Pigeon Lake is UW-River Falls
art department chair Michael Padgett.
During the summer,
many college students attend Pigeon Lake to earn credits in courses
such as art, biology, business and teacher education. The credits earned
are resident credits for any of the member campuses of the University
of Wisconsin System. The field station is also open for educational
meetings, non-credit programs and private use by individuals and groups.
Some of these non-educational groups include the Swedish Spelmanslag
Fiddlers Group and Elderhostel. Visitors can bike in the National Forest,
canoe and swim in Pigeon Lake.
Clam Lake Field Station is located in the Hayward Ranger District of
the Chequamegon National Forest, 35 miles north of Park Falls, Wisconsin.
The facilities at Clam Lake were constructed in the mid-1960s to house
the Clam Lake Job Corps Conservation Center. In 1969 the Job Corps facilities
were made available to state governments for “Socially Useful
Purposes.” In 1970, the Board of Regents obtained title to the
vast majority of personal and real property associated with the center.
Clam Lake, 1969-70
Agreement of Sale-Pigeon
Clam Lake, 1972
Pigeon Lake, 1960,
Pigeon Lake, 1993
Articles of Agreement,
Clam Lake, 1972-74
Pigeon Lake, 1968-74
Pigeon Lake, 1973-93
1987-88, 1992, n.d.
Consortium Board of
Directors Meetings, 1972-75
Pigeon Lake, 1978,
Pigeon Lake, 1985-90
Lake, 1969-90, n.d.
Five Year Review,
Histories of Pigeon
Maps-Clam Lake, n.d.
National Science Foundation,
Clam Lake, 1970-1974,
Pigeon Lake, 1974
Pigeon Lake Personnel
Science World, 1984-88
Special Use Permits-Clam
Special Use Permits-Pigeon
Minutes-Clam Lake, 1970-71
Minutes-Pigeon Lake, 1967-72
Stevens Point Program-Clam
Lake, 1975, n.d.
Lake, 1976-84, 1987-91
Field Stations Report:
Pigeon Lake and Clam
Pigeon Lake, 1960-1978
Pigeon Lake, 1960-1980
Photographs #322: Photographs related to Pigeon Lake Field Station